[Sigia-l] How the Perception of Variety Influences Consumption

David R. Austen dausten at hoosier.net
Thu Jul 31 16:19:18 EDT 2003

Hello, Ziya:

(No problems here. And I am always happy to see you weigh in on these
matters.)

All around me, especially in retail stores, I look for indications
that ordinary folks are starting to "get it" when it comes to
usability, especially when related to information design.

A "smarter" manufacturer and retailer would have used some of the
space on the label for the URL of a Web site where color-based systems
of retrieval could be explained and promoted. Many wasted retail
opportunities out there. Oldish fogeys like me might then more often
be willing to switch from wood and cardboard to those "ugly" plastic
versions that (at least) come in a range of useful colors.

Best wishes,

David

L> "David R. Austen" wrote:

L> (I hope no offense was taken, as it was entirely in jest and not directed at
L> you at all.)

>> I value the color coding because it often enhances . . . usability. (This will
>> qualify as user-centered design when I put them to work.)

L> Therein lies the subtlety of this issue in advertising: the point is to
L> sell, which overrides the concern for usability. The advertiser doesn't
L> start with the proposition "How can we be more usable?" but with "How can we
L> sell more?" You're quite right: to the extent that usability makes selling
L> easier, it's effective. But usability is not central/endgame to the business
L> of advertising, selling is. Sometimes usability works, sometimes shouting
L> louder does, often sex sells. The advertiser is there to exploit whatever
L> proclivities you may have. We're all suckers for *something.* (I'm a sucker
L> for anything that smells like cut grass. Go figure :-)

L> Ziya
L> Nullius in Verba

Best wishes,

David