[Sigia-l] List order

Joe Sokohl joe at sokohl.com
Wed Jul 30 21:24:34 EDT 2003

Hi,

I posted this right when the list went down, and i really need some help
from y'all.

Topic: How shuold a menu list be ordered? Specifically, I have 14
organization subgroups that will appear in a form list. Possible
orderings are:
1. Ordinal--12 subgroups are numbered 1-12.
2. Geographic--Most groups are geographic in nature (US state names)
3. Alphabetic.

My analysis of Card, Schneiderman, and Schriver as well as papers on ACM
Digital Library led me to choose 3. But I'm meeting resistance from
long-timers in the firm, who opt for "the way we've always done it."

Any research y'all have done on something similar help?

Grazie,
joe
Joe Sokohl
Sokohl & Associates
Helping create digital solutions for real people
Technical writing, information architecture, and usability consulting