[Sigia-l] PDF: 99% bad

Jon Hanna jon at spin.ie
Tue Jul 15 06:43:40 EDT 2003

> Now that Macromedia is dry, I guess Nielsen is looking to shake
> down Adobe:
>
> PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption
> <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html>
>
> I'll withhold my comments, since it's pretty hard to do it with a straight
> face.

Em, I think those comments are going to be necessary. I can see a point in
criticising Nielsen for repeating common gripes about so-called PDFs (and he
leaves out criticisms that only apply to facsimile PDFs) as if this was
somehow new. But I don't disagree with any of the points though (admittedly
the searching has improved recently).

PDFs are often useful as self-contained resources, like software patches.
But I never have to read software patches.