[Sigia-l] Notification schema?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Jul 10 23:30:18 EDT 2003

"Eric Scheid" wrote:

>> It's utterly and trivially easy to do that, with a "Delete messages older
>> than [  ] hours" type of a pref setting.
>
> If the message doesn't exist, it can't be [not] deleted.
[...]
> It's an architectural limitation of the RSS concept. There is no
> intermediary aggregator in the concept, no analog to the POP3 mail server.

After you join a mail list, like this one, for the first time, do you
immediately get several thousand messages dating back to the very first
message ever? [1] Of course not. Your POP3 mail server has NOT been keeping
messages for you all this time, because the mail list sender didn't know you
from Adam, until you joined, and couldn't send messages to an address
unknown. So in that sense your email is absolutely no different.

Now, my reference to keeping/deleting RSS messages is for the client end.
The management of message expiry happens at the client end, just as your
current RSS reader does today. There has been discussions on management
expiry per user at the server end, but there are the obvious
overhead/resources/efficiency issues for that solution. You could design a
remote syncing solution (like Apple does with the new iDisk) if you wanted
to have mirrored copies of changes from a given RSS source. But for general
use this is not needed, although, again, trivial in terms of the technology
that would be involved.

>... but you can only do that with RSS sources under your control.

Right. But that's what I've been talking about for the past few posts: a
corporate setting where you control both ends. I even suggested that Joe
could write his own simplex/complex RSS protocol to include whatever
functionalities needed. That's the beauty of XML.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba

[1] So what was the very first email post on this list (not from the admin)?