[Sigia-l] Findability

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Tue Jan 28 04:50:28 EST 2003

* Boniface Lau

| Yup! Google is relying on the patterns emerged from massive
| information. It is much more economical and efficient than any
| hand-crafted categorization could ever hope to achieve.

It's not bad, but it relies heavily on hypertext links and the
metadata people provide on their pages (title, especially). You don't
always have that. If you are given a pile of Word documents there are
no crosslinks, and often you can't rely on the metadata.

| IMO, hand-crafted categorization is just too expensive and is
| heading towards extinction!

It depends on the context. One of our customers employs 100 full-time
indexers in-house, and does not plan to let them go. Many portals and
other sites also let authors classify their documents themselves, and
this works fine in cases where the authors are willing to do it. The
time spent is usually minimal, since the authors know what they are
writing about.