SV: [Sigia-l] Findability

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Jan 27 20:03:08 EST 2003

"Lars Marius Garshol" wrote:

> What you'd really want to say is something like this:
>
> "Oil services" is a "business area"
> "Oil surveying" is a "department"
> "Kano field location" is an "office"
> "Oil production" is a "department"
[..]
> Given a model like this you could actually just connect the survey
> report to "Kano field location" and be done with it. Users interested
> can go to the field location from the place, should they be interested
> in the survey report.

Relating manually is one way to do it. Like most handcrafted stuff, it's not
scalable, uniform or cheap.

Another approach is, as I said previously, to extract sufficient context out
of documents to relate them automatically, without prior hard-coded
classification, a la Google.

Given differing resources and scales, there's room for both. But for mass
deployment, guess which approach will be more popular.

Best,