[Sigia-l] Findability

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Jan 27 15:42:51 EST 2003

"Lars Marius Garshol" wrote:

> In a sense you could say that, but it attempts to find similar pages,
> not pages about the same concepts,for the simple reason that the
> notion of a concept is entirely missing from Google. Given this poor
> starting point I have to say it works surprisingly well.

If the end-result of clicking on "Similar pages" associates the main focus
of that page to the gazillion "similar" pages Google indexes (by the same
rules Google finds *anything*) then, who needs concepts/categories/etc? As
you found out, while not perfect, it works remarkably well. And isn't that
the point? Otherwise, is it even remotely possible for Google to create
concepts/categories/etc for the entirety of the web? The ("average") user is
the winner here, as there are no external/rigid/additional requirements: I
like this item, now find similar stuff. So doing away with the notion of a
concept might not have been such a poor start?

Best,