[Sigia-l] info security

Derek R derek at derekrogerson.com
Thu Jan 23 17:15:33 EST 2003

>| I been thinking ... what is your opinion
>| on the ability of our architectures to
>| survive a wartime assault by a clever
>| enemy?

This question reminds me of a book review I recently read:

"Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction" -->
http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0262041960/

<quote>

Why is the human/computer interface now so important?

It is quite possible that the events of 9/11 are just the first in a
series of major shocks that will mark the first quarter of the
twenty-first century. Others that may follow within a few years include
the end of cheap oil (Hubbert's Peak) and environmental deterioration
from human activities (Greenhouse Effect).

The first lesson learned from 9/11 is that resources in place at the
start of a major event are the only ones you can use to address it. You
may have the time and money for research later but in the hour of need
only those things that are already developed are of use. The research
and development must be done before hand.

</quote>

All very true in my opinion.

Remember the NYC 'emergency' HQ conveniently located in the WTC
?(Presumably it had a good view and was upscale enough for use by the
mayor's office). Remember the central-communication antennas/hub for
NYC/NJ sitting on top of those towers? Remember no cable TV
communications for much of Queens/Brooklyn for weeks following (not to
mention no DSL/Internet-cable)?

In short, it might appear as though some 'effort' (i.e. forethought)
would go a long way towards securing a future as opposed to
'quick/convenient-fixes' or what makes the best 'return-on-investment.'
There is no substitute for thorough preparedness as opposed to frivolous
carelessness.