[Sigia-l] Re: Findability

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Wed Jan 22 22:28:47 EST 2003

> Behalf Of Ken Bryson
>
> > From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> > Behalf Of Simon Wistow
> >
> > Findability trys to amke it easy to find data/information/whatever
> > by presenting it in a certain way - a way that presents most
> > information in the best way at the expense of maybe obscuring
> > other information from being found. This is the Mac way of doing
> > things.
> >
> > At the other end of the spectrum is presenting all the data in a
> > structured manner. It may not be easy to find something but you'll
> > eventually be able to find everything. This is the Unix way.
> >

> I would say this is an apt description of findability, though
> ironically at odds with PeterMe's findability article on B&A:
>
> http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/the_age_of_findability.php

I understand findability as a system attribute on how easy one can
locate components within a system. It is not an attribute of
individual components. Instead of designing findable components, the
focus is designing a system with high findability towards all of its
components.

If I understand correctly, what Simon said was an analogy of various
architectural approaches toward a system with high findability.

In contrast, Peter's article seems to imply a bottom-up
component-oriented approach toward findability.

Boniface