[Sigia-l] RE: Use cases and user centric design (was sitepath diagramming)

Lord, Ralph rsl3 at cdc.gov
Wed Jan 22 15:47:22 EST 2003

Lorelei wrote:

>First, use case means something different to
>developers - in software development, it's this
>incredibly detailed document with data fields, error
>messaging, and other application behaviors.

I'm sitting thru Rational Use Case training right now and extensive
discussion on this issue has nailed Rational down as saying that the Use
Cases are NOT detailed and do not have all that application behavior
information.  That's SUPPOSED to go in the SRS.

So, since the people who promote use-cases the most are mostly Rationalese,
how did the development community get the impression that Use Cases are
supposed to have all these details?

The other extensive discussion we've had has been around the lack of
User-centered activities the RUP contains. They promise more process around
that later this year.  Anyone really looking for the RUP to provide UCD
guidance?

RL