[Sigia-l] RE: Use cases and user centric design (was sitepath diagramming)

prady prai at prady.com
Wed Jan 22 12:53:09 EST 2003

Anna wrote -

> Did you find that developers pressed for much more detail in the use cases
> than you originally thought was necessary (both of you)?

Anna,

Very nice question.

The school of thought I hail from is not bothered about selling it to
developers alone with the amount of detail they may seek. Because of the
reason that the immediate customer of the use case is 'not' those who code
the UI, but are those who are actually creating the Prototype, first. Please
read this - http://www.foruse.com/articles/structurestyle2.pdf

I am follower of 'Constantine & Lockwoods' theory of Essential Use Case.
They present the theory which says that this use case be written in context
(or in perspective) of how user is using it. This theory does bring
ideological conflict with that of 'Jacobson (of Rational Rose' Unified
Theory') but it does work in the iterative process which I described in the
last mail.

I consider the use of my use cases as purely for interpreting requirements
before starting on design. This is essential 'R' in 'R&D'. But that is not
saying that I have not faced the situation as you describing. In some
earlier instances, when I invited UI developers for use case creations, the
experience have been really unmanageable. For example, I can tell you an
instance - Developers wanted to create a use case for 'Login' mechanism and
they rightly justified so, that it is important to know the security
feature, validation rules, pre-conditions and post conditions to make it
work. From the user perspective, I did not consider it important (you may
guess why). Although the Use Case theory which I described above does not
say that developers' need can't be fulfilled using the same style and
structure. So, we arrived at set of use cases for design and let the output
be open for decomposing into 'concrete use cases' as we move with the
design. But essentially we agreed that decomposing the essential use cases
are responsibility of UI development lead. I do try helping the developers,
but avoid spoon feeding them. I also believe that when Developers work,
their point of reference could not just be contained to a single documents.
They refer to SRD, use cases, prototypes, database schema, etc. to proceed
on their tasks.

I just want to describe again, the context of my comments about 'use case
theory' in this mail and the one before. I see it as a part of a big
development process, which is iterative in nature. I believe that most of
the 'front loading' efforts set the path towards failure at the very
beginning. I have noticed if you are designing a system (which has less
industry parallels, and which is not same as, yet another 'Shopping Cart'),
you tend not to do everything in just one go. Neither you want all the team
to follow the same process/frame work.

At times, keeping front end design walks different path than those who code
it at the end, is right thing to do. It may meet multiple times in between,
for the sanity checks but following the common path is often chaotic than
useful. In my experience, the vested interests of Usability, Product
Management and Development are do different that it is not possible for all
of them to go together, all the time. There should be means for interactions
so to make the design and prototyping be usefully integrated but user needs
should not be over loaded with the developers need at the very beginning on
the investigation.

Hope I answered your query.

Pradyot Rai