[Sigia-l] Creating Taxonomies/FC Systems from Data Models

Thomas Vander Wal thomas at vanderwal.net
Thu Jan 16 08:09:08 EST 2003

Doug --

Welcome.  You are very much on the right track.  I have had a couple very
similar projects and found the Data Modeling professionals are very good
IAs, from an information structuring perspective.  Much of the work that is
done to build data models is similar is not identical to the work needed to
build taxonomies and faceted classification systems.  The result of data
modeling could be used very easily with a crosswalk table that joins the
metadata to usable terms for the users and/or a thesaurus that provides an
easy interface for users.

I will explain more, but a little later.  Your questions are mostly dead on
and there are a few here who see the world in a similar manner.

All the best,
Thomas

--
www.vanderwal.net