[Sigia-l] errors & omissions insurance for IAs

Louis Rosenfeld lou at louisrosenfeld.com
Wed Jan 15 17:07:59 EST 2003

On 1/14/03 7:16 PM, "Kathleen Klein" <kathleen at kleininfodesign.com> wrote:

> A new contract with a large high-tech client requires that I carry $2
> million in errors and omissions coverage.
>
> Do my fellow IAs carry such insurance? If so, at what level of coverage?

Both at Argus and now solo, I've had good luck convincing the client that
this type of malpractice insurance really wasn't relevant to IA work; in
only one case did we end up going for it (the contract was large enough to
not be concerned about the premium).

As has been stated, requests for E&O insurance are usually embedded in
contractual boilerplate; these have often been written for software
development projects where such coverage really does make sense.  So you
need to help the client and their legal folk understand that you're
delivering a service rather than a software application.

cheers

Louis Rosenfeld
www.louisrosenfeld.com
information architecture consulting