[Sigia-l] Equipment recommendations for a Mobile Usability Lab?

Amanda McGuire azmcguire at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 16:17:29 EST 2003

I've managed to convince my company to invest in a
mobile usability lab so that we can conduct usability
testing more often and on shorter notice, while still
capturing the right kind of media to demonstrate
results.  Now I need to put together a list of the
specific equipment we would need to purchase in order
to make this vision a reality.

I would think two must-haves are:

* Laptop computer
* Screen-recording software (to capture mouse
movements and user comments)

And some nice-to-haves are:

* Digital video camera (to capture facial expressions)
* Tripod (for camera)
* Monitor (so user doesn't need to use laptop screen)
* Keyboard (so user doesn't have to use laptop
keyboard)

Am I missing anything critical?  Any recommendations
for how people have done this successfully before, on
a somewhat limited budget?

I checked the archives, and don't think this has been
discussed before.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Amanda