[Sigia-l] Re: Data vs. Information

John Fullerton jfullert at lib-gw.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 9 17:29:49 EST 2003

>| information architecture has to do with the
>| addition of order...thus meta-information
>| Is that right?

> A marking condition does not necessarily have to be 'meta'
(2nd-level
> order). It often is a logical one (arrangement).

Part of my thinking about meta has to do with Artistotle's use of the
word metaphysics for his book written after-the-book-about-physics (=
meta-physics). I don't necessarily mean metatags. Meta-information is
(or can be made use of as) information added to information, such as the
informativeness of putting elements in order. Of course, the order used
may be other than simply factual. One example of a kind of factual
ordering might be alphabetical order, an order not always found, and
usually not automatically part of an informative list that may benefit
from alphabetical ordering--so the alphabetical ordering could be added
to the elements. There are other kinds of ordering besides alphabetical
that may be useful, such as priority, ratings, complexity, and so on.
One can add indicators of these attributes, perceptions, or opinions to
a list of elements.

My statement information architecture is the ordering of information
did not mean that it was only the ordering of information (sometimes the
practice of information architecture could result in new content being
created or added), and my use of the word ordering includes such things
as highlighting of concepts (as that gives a higher order of presented
significance).

Have a nice day
John Paul Fullerton
j-fullerton at tamu.edu