[Sigia-l] RE: Data vs. Information

John Fullerton jfullert at lib-gw.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 8 11:32:07 EST 2003

One reason that data is important is that it is the form that computers
can more easily work with. It is because of computer use of data that we
have data in mind so much (maybe :)

Human thought seems like it almost always has to do with information or
even higher levels of contextual use of information. By the time that we
can talk about data, we have so many experiences that direct thinking,
allow for thinking, and (maybe the wrong word) constitute thinking that
data received is usually not known only as data--as for example the
amount of information we have when we consider the HP and COMPAQ
prices.

The earlier mention of friendship as a property (right word?) of
information presentation was significant for me. I had earlier been
thinking how my zeal to propound information was at the expense of the
listeners hearing friendliness.

Have a nice day
John Paul Fullerton
j-fullerton at tamu.edu