[Sigia-l] DVD menu user interface designs

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Jan 7 22:57:41 EST 2003

"Kinney, Matt" wrote:

> I'm just curious if anyone out there is involved in creating these
> interfaces and what your experience has been.  Sorry if this has been
> discussed already.

Until recently, the software used to package movies into DVDs had been quite
Paleolithic. Now apps like iDVD and DVDPro Studio give you much finer
control with far greater ease of use. However, this hasn't been a lucrative
and challenging enough niche attracting great talent yet. One of the
fundamental problems with DVD navigation is that there's too much inherent
latency; it just doesn't seem fluid. Designer haven't quite learned to
compensate the navigation structure for it yet. Anyway, this subject came up
on the list over a year ago and I think (I'm not sure) I wrote in greater
length then, maybe you can dig something up from the archives.

Best,