[Sigia-l] RE: Data vs. Information

Christopher Fahey [askrom] askROM at graphpaper.com
Tue Jan 7 12:53:46 EST 2003

Ed wrote:
> data==>information==>knowledge==>wisdom
> sounds good, but does not fully ring
> true for me.
>
> The one-bit message sent from a church
> tower ("one if by land, two if by sea")
> in New England.  How does that fit in?

The number of signal light flashes ("1" or "2") is _data_ (the recipient
says to him or herself "Hmm, I just saw two flashes of light from the
tower of the Old North Church across the bay").

The recipients of the data who know the code are able translate that
data into _information_ ("I heard that two flashes of light means that
the British troops will be attacking by sea").

Recipients who know the political situation and local geography are able
to use this information to create better _knowledge_ ("They will pass
right by my seaside house").

And then, in the right hands it becomes _wisdom_ ("I better get the hell
out of here and warn the rest of the villagers")

Only later does it become _poetry_, however:
   http://eserver.org/poetry/paul-revere.html

-Cf

[christopher eli fahey]
art: http://www.graphpaper.com