[Sigia-l] RE: Data vs. Information

Thomas Vander Wal thomas at vanderwal.net
Tue Jan 7 09:18:48 EST 2003

Listera wrote:
> "Thomas Vander Wal" wrote:
>

>>If your DELL and HP quotes came with links to historical data, or were
>>links to further data or information these elements could be information.
>

> As you previously illustrated, what's data to some can be information to
> another. My contention is that it's virtually impossible to draw a rigid
> line between the two in many/most situations, however (theoretically)
> creative one may get defining these terms. So my question is (after the
> proverbial falling tree in a forest) what do we call what's data to some and
> information to another?

Datamation? ;-)

Seriously, as it is with much of our work there is a huge grey line and
a lot of the situations require an *it depends* response.  We can learn
the basics, but knowing how to apply what we know and have researched is
where it all becomes important.

The Pareto Principle (80/20 rule) is very helpful to us.  We must try,
as best we can, to understand the user.  We must try to understand, as
best we can, the data/information.

All the best,
Thomas