[Sigia-l] RE: Data vs. Information

Thomas Vander Wal thomas at vanderwal.net
Mon Jan 6 16:32:13 EST 2003

Ziya --

It is data if I do not know what DELL or HP are (these are data points
that I do maintain).  It is also data points if I do not know these are
stock quotes.  These are just data points with out knowing their
previous data points or their Earnings per share or other data that help
provide understanding of the data.  These data points need context,
which is provided by other data then forming information.

You have informed me (an action of sharing data and/or information) of
these data points.  You gave me another data point by saying these are
stock quotes, which helps give understanding to the names and the dollar
amounts (stock prices are officially not dollar amounts but points) and
not DELL and HP's price for a computer mouse.  You also provided this
data was from today at a specific time.

The formation of all these data points may be *information* to me or may
still remain data points.  As it is with many things when dealing with
information and users, it depends.  If I were looking for a strike price
  for DELL and HP this would be information to me.  If I were trying to
decipher trends these would be specific data points with valuable
assistive data that help me qualify this data.  The quality of these
data points is valuable to me as it provides assistive data that helps
provide context.

This gets us back to understanding the user and the how the user is
going to use data or information.  When structuring information we must
understand the user so that we are not providing meaningless data when
we intend to provide information.  Information Architecture provides
structure to data and information providing greater value to the data
(to shape it into information) or information (by making the information
finable and/or providing supporting data and information that help form
more usable information for the user.

If your DELL and HP quotes came with links to historical data, or were
links to further data or information these elements could be information.

ATB,
Thomas

www.vanderwal.net

Listera wrote:
"Thomas Vander Wal" wrote:

Data alone is not information, but a collection of data points do create
information.

These were the prices for two stocks at about 3 PM today:

DELL $28.54 HP $27.28

Is this data or information, to you?

Best,