[Sigia-l] blogging

Ken Bryson kbryson at aw.sgi.com
Fri Jan 3 13:43:47 EST 2003

At the risk of embarassing my fellow classmates, I'd suggest you take a look
at some of the work that was done recently for the Knowledge Media Design
seminar at the University of Toronto.

The assignment was to analyse blogging from a newbie perspective and discuss
issues of usability and usefulness in terms of blogging as a Knowledge
Medium - one that provides a medium for people to interact, collaborate,
learn, teach etc... We looked at MoveableType, Blogger, LiveJournal, and
Twiki (not a true blogger, but possible to blog with all the same..)

The course assignment page is at:

http://achieve.utoronto.ca/twiki/bin/view/KMD1000/AssignmentOne

look for the Student Work link at the top if you're up for some reading...

Here's my "conclusion" on blogging systems in general.

---

The blogging systems currently available today do a good job of providing a
knowledge medium for passing information, in close to real time, to people
who are interested in receiving it.   Where these systems break down
however, is in their long term prospects of providing a lasting information
source for individuals to learn and gain knowledge from. The systems, with
the exception of TWIKI, are based almost exclusively on temporal qualities.
These qualities make for excellent narrative, but poor information storage.
Much like the web itself, there is little prospect for going "back in time"
to find previously published information.

And while TWIKI wins the day with respect to longevity, searchability, and
pure collaborative potential, it also loses big time in the area of easy
"personal publishing" for the masses.

-
cheers,

kb