[Sigia-l] "Study: Content Management Tools Fail"

Livia Labate liv at livlab.com
Thu Feb 27 19:42:28 EST 2003

"Peter Merholz" said:
: ... enterprises are simply going to have to face --
: they'll have to do a little bit of the upfront legwork to
: understand just what it is they need, and how a technological
: solution will 'fit' within their current work processes. With
: that understanding in hand, they can intelligently approach
: vendors, and more easily weed out mismatches.

This reminds me of my Logistics class in college. The professor would repeat
every class that the purchase department was to blame for any problem
arising from whatever it is that suppliers have sold that was not 100%.

When you are in charge of purchasing a product or service, you need to have
a very clear understanding of what is needed, because the vendor, obviosuly,
just wants to sell. This is why specifications are so important. If the
business itself doesn't understand what they need, there is an enormous
chance of buying an inadequate solution.

Looking for people to blame is not going to solve it. That study "Content
Management Tools Fail" is likelly talking about a) people buying the wrong
products or b) people selling products that did not meet the purchaser's
requirements. The CM tools are just tools, they can't do the human job of
adequating needs and meeting requirements.

Livia Labate
liv at livlab.com | www.livlab.com

  Arquitetura da Informação
  http://www.livlab.com/ai