McDaniel RE: [Sigia-l] ROI/Value of Search Engine Design - Resources?

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Wed Feb 19 13:47:31 EST 2003

[Re-posted because of html coding.  Dick Hill

At 11:21 AM 2/19/2003 -0600, Mike.Steckel at SEMATECH.Org wrote:
>I am sceptical of this on my first read. How is it determined that Albert
>is a casual searcher in the system? How is he "assigned" as a casual
>searcher? Also, following the berrypicking model
>(<http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/berrypicking.html>http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/berrypicking.html)
>there is a good chance that Albert would increasingly move toward being an
>Interested Layperson during the same search session, especially as he
>narrows the search to something more specific, and then possibly back to
>Casual Searcher again as he talks to the person requesting a book. All
>during the same search. I just don't see the real world falling into these
>neatly defined categories. I also, don't see people being able to
>effectively assign themselves to the categories.

I come from a usability and UI design area, so my answer to how to classify
Albert a casual searcher would be to do enough user analysis to be able
make that decision.  I don't trust people to be able to classify themselves
-- I'd rather do it through a combination of interview questions and
observation.  Since the Type of User category reflects primarily how much
knowledge a person already has about the subject of their search, we'd have
to engage in a discussion with users to see what their level of knowledge
is.  It also includes an element of motivation -- how likely is Albert to
conclude that there's nothing there and report back to the customer that
they don't have anything?  That may in fact be two separate categories, but
they seem to lead to similar heuristics.

People can certainly change levels within a category, but as presented
below it wouldn't happen in the same search session.  My understanding of
the berrypicking article was that the act of searching changes not only the
query but the information need itself.  That's different than a person's
level of knowledge about their subject.  (Nice link, by the way -- thanks.)

Where I see the berrypicking fitting in better is as a source for
heuristics in the Search Experience category.  Novice searchers and many
intermediate searchers don't think in terms of entire, multi-query search
strategies.  If you only do one, maybe two queries at the most, it's hard
for the berrypicking effect to kick in.  Perhaps a better way to say it
would be that the more queries your overall search takes, the more
berrypicking will have an effect on the final results set.  A UI should
allow intermediate and experienced searchers to take advantage of the
serendipitous findings on the way to their initial target.

As for the real world fitting neatly into these categories -- the function
of the model is to simplify the many parameters affecting search to the
point that we can effectively make UI design decisions.  Are you skeptical
of these specific categories or of the idea of having such categories in
the first place?  How do you approach the various "it depends" questions
that come up when designing specific user interfaces?

Thanks,

      Scott McD.

Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
FAX: (301) 495-0810
PHONE: (301) 495-0900