[Sigia-l] Caveat Emptor

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Tue Feb 18 20:29:55 EST 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of paula.thornton
>
> B.L. said: "When treating each other in a professional manner,
> people do not cast the other person's argument as rhetoric after
> being told there was a hole in their own logic.
>
> When treating each other in a professional manner, people follow up
> their own logic with reasonable explanation after being told their
> logic has problem."
>
> I'd advise others to hold Boniface to his challenge.

Yes, please do. I will be grateful for that.

> I did so offline and found ample rhetoric with minimal substance. I
> was unsuccessful in discovering any details about his background or
> methods (I was only searching for such to better understand his
> approach to thinking and/or problem solving...as is a common tact in
> our discipline...seek first to understand).

People who know how to assess an argument's correctness do so
independent of the background of the person making that argument.

A person's background has nothing to do with his argument's
correctness. Gautama Buddha was quoted to have said:

"Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it... or
because it is traditional, or because you yourself have imagined it.
Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for
the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis..."

Boniface