[Sigia-l] Edward Tufte

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Fri Feb 14 20:00:36 EST 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Smith, Denise (Hewitt)

[...]
> Quite a number of people from my client companies were there, and I
> had to defend myself / interactive methodologies there.

Just curious, what were some of the things that you had to defend
against?

> I do highly respect the man, but I also feel (as with all people in
> a position of 'authoritarianship") to not disparage what they do not
> either work with or the quality of other people's work...  in this
> case, user testing.

User testing helps and has a price tag. How much testing (ranging from
none to testing every possible situations) is very much a reflection
of the cost/benefit tradeoff.

> He did have about a 10 minute diatribe about how it was a waste of
> money and time.

Can you tell us what Tufte said in those 10 minutes?

Boniface