[Sigia-l] Edward Tufte

Hankinson, Jody JHankinson at girlscouts.org
Fri Feb 14 15:29:42 EST 2003

Ahhh. So this is more about client education and communication than it is
about Tufte. More along the lines of how clients, who are not in our field,
mistakenly related other fields to our field. How have you handled it to
date?

Not that anyone asked, but here's how I'd handle the situation with one of
my clients.
1. Get clients' opinion on seminar. Did they hear anything new? Struck by
any of his opinions? - they may think he's a crackpot, so no worries.
2. Bring up my own reactions. I really value his insight here, and this is
why. Also, I disagree with him on this bit, and here's why. Include examples
such as market research or unexpected insights discovered in testing. (And
none of the clients knew XYZPDQ was an acronym for an unzipped fly). - I'm
the consultant and sometimes (albeit rarely) that's enough to mitigate.
3. Forward article or book or executive summary of something that supports
my position on why speaker is wrong. Possibly suggest other lectures or
talks. - Who ever said IA was about IA? It's about educating.
4. Contextualize all discussions to specific project. - Because the expert
doesn't personalize and I have that advantage, however slim.

Jody Hankinson
  phone: 212.852.5051