[Sigia-l] People thinking like computers (was ROI/Value of Search Engine...)

Jon Hanna jon at spin.ie
Mon Feb 10 06:51:37 EST 2003

> And _that_ is why studies like Jared's keep finding that search engines
> are both reliable and trusted when looking for very specific things --

Alas that too is fading. Once if you typed in something as specific as a
line of lyrics, a serial number or anything else that had only one likely
source you would either find exactly what you wanted, or nothing.

Now google responds with "we couldn't find that, you are probably stupid".
Jumps without asking you to a different search (accessibility
schmaccessibility) which makes it more awkward to move on to a similar
search to the one you last tried (say a different format for the same
serial).

In the quest for search engines that more reliably find useful results for
all queries techniques (and hardly esoteric techie techniques) useful to
people with very specific queries have lost value.