[Sigia-l] ROI/Value of Search Engine Design - Resources?

Jared M. Spool jspool at uie.com
Mon Feb 10 01:08:16 EST 2003

> > Sure, 'laptops' works as a query. It didn't work for our user
> > because they didn't get what they needed.
>
>As my above reply indicated, just because some people did a search and
>not getting what they needed is NOT necessary a problem of the search
>engine or the site. It could very well be a problem of the users.

Maybe at this point we can agree to disagree. I have drawn my inferences
from our data, you can draw different inferences. That's how it's supposed
to work.

I come from a school that there isn't ever a problem with users -- it's
always a problem with the design. I believe that there is no such thing as
'user error' -- I believe that there always is a design that could've
prevented such errors and it's part of our research agenda to understand
what such a design would entail.

If you believe that the problem was that our user was somehow incapable of
or shouldn't be using Amazon, I can accept that. I have a different opinion.

It is possible that the user selection process we use in our research is
finding the wrong users. It is possible that the tasks we've asked users to
perform are the wrong tasks. It is possible that our test method and our
measurement techniques are somehow faulty. I question each of these things
regularly and we're constantly making improvements.

But, in this case, to the best of my knowledge and our research abilities,
I believe this user was the right user and their behavior was indicative of
what we often see when trying to perform similar tasks.

As we do more testing, we'll have more results, from which we'll draw more
inferences and opinions. We'll continue to present the data so that
everyone can draw their own inferences and opinions. Then we'll have more
healthy debate, which will help us refine our research and move our
knowledge forward. That's how it is supposed to work.

Thanks for encouraging our behavior.

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
http://www.uie.com    jspool at uie.com

Don't miss User Interface 7 West, March 23-27, Burlingame, CA.
http://www.uiconf.com