[Sigia-l] potential challenge to the dominance of the left nav bar in local navigation

Benjamin Speaks benspeaks at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 6 20:59:33 EST 2003

I agree with most of your comments below.

With this discussion in mind I wanted to get some feedback from my peers...

I have been asked to provided feedback on a unique project that will be
using a rather expensive CMS to serve up data in two different languages:
English and Chinese.  In addition, the users of this particular site will be
skewed over the age of 40.  As many of you know many traditional Chinese
manuscripts are read from right to left (yes, the has changed over time but
many learned to read the classics this way).  We, "English" types, of
course, like to read from left to right.

Has anyone seen any usability and/or eye-tracking research on dual language
sites that can address this issue?  In particular any research on navigation
placement when dealing with multinational audiences?

Thanks,
Ben