[Sigia-l] potential challenge to the dominance of the left nav bar in local navigation

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Feb 5 13:38:49 EST 2003

"Samantha Bailey" wrote:

> the notion that navigation is a component that can be moved willy nilly (and
> I'm not saying the folks at NYT have done this, am more stating this strongly
> for sake of argument ;) is one that I find, if not chilling, at least
> something I want to sit up and pay attention to/think about.

That's perilously close to a circular argument. First you need to accept the
Nielsenian dictate that the navbar ought to be on the left and then get
agitated when it moves to the top, albeit for a marketing reason. If you
accept the notion that the navbar should be wherever a specific project
naturally dictates, then there's no reason to panic :-) For instance, I
rarely consider left or right navbars when designing a intranet with a lot
of tables, as I need most of the horizontal real estate.

Best,