[Sigia-l] Classification is an essential skill

Derek R derek at derekrogerson.com
Sun Feb 2 14:25:26 EST 2003

>| when Gerry said 'completely different'
>| he was saying that it doesn't make sense
>| to treat humans as apples and oranges

Yes, I know. He is saying it is better to treat humans as commodity! Try
a little respect. Your abstraction/categorization is 'negative
attention,' as I have indicated before. Pay some attention to your users
and not just the numbers which you can easily pull-out and fit-into your
pre-defined matrix of understanding. Try actively looking for the
differences instead and you will discover they far out-weigh any
propped-up similarities which only exist in order to communicate.

If you want to appeal to people and facilitate their processes you will
architect towards 'who' they are, which is a 'category of person' full
of the difference which defines them as unique individuals. Going about
things the opposite way is 'contrary' and asks humans to behave as
machines so 'the system' can continue to work. In short, your
categorical paradise is de-humanizing and if you read my recent post on
'the decline of information' you might recognize this downward trend.

>| personal quibbling

If I have asserted myself inappropriately, I apologize. Any such
expression is likely the result of irritability and excessive impatience
other's argumentativeness and general touchiness. I will attempt to
control my impulses and exuberance.

It is not my intention to alienate others, or to create enemies who, in
the long run, will undermine our shared interests. I come from a
tradition of 'rebel angels,' so to speak, and following
ethnomethodology's program, I often 'breach' to get to the 'real'
bottom-of-things.

I will endeavor to work more harmoniously with others, as my own benefit
is derived from that of the group. However, you must endeavor to get off
the treadmill and give attention to what your audience is clearly
telling you -->
http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0301/0617.html
and abandon your impulses to *make* (force) the audience to believe,
resulting in labeling disproportionate to experience (a lie). Ultimately
you're going to drive this ship straight into the ground if you do not
ease off your excessive greed.