[Sigia-l] tenets, principles, standards, etc ...

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Dec 24 22:37:53 EST 2003

"Eric Scheid" wrote:

> When the project manager comes in with a list of 20
> specifications he doesn't want to spend 20 * five minutes explaining
> himself. That's almost two hours for something which should take just 5
> minutes in total.

I'd much rather listen to a project manager (or anybody else for that
matter) explaining *in their own words* what they want, even if it takes
longer. That's infinitely better and ultimately more efficient than the PM
referring to some phrase whose meaning in any *specific* context may differ
in reality, perception or interpretation. It's easier to listen and ask
*before* you start than to correct later. You can learn a lot by listening,
try it.

> Or, to be really efficient, you could have said all that with just one word:
> "typically"

And I'd be wrong. If you had been paying any attention, you'd realize that
I'm not a fan of "typical" solutions. We're in the customization business:
specific solutions to specific problems. Generic solutions to generic
problems are best procured via the Turing-bots at the License & Standards
Authority's automated Downloads section.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba