[Sigia-l] AIfIA Goals 2004 Survey Results

Dave Collins DCollins at phoenix-interactive.com
Tue Dec 23 09:02:34 EST 2003

>> When you get a contract you need to be able to work within the
environment of
>> the corporation that holds your contract. For your work to have value it
needs
>> to be in a form that the corporation can consume.

>Exactly. It is idiotic in the extreme to insist that a resume be submitted
>in MS Word format when anyone can consume it as ascii text. It's coercive
>insist a sitemap or a wireframe be submitted as a Visio file when PDF can
be
>universally consumed. It's coercive to demand that a public web app be
coded
>in VB or .NET. Just because some pinhead decided that ought to be a
'standard.'

>> Guidance does not assume ineptitude.
>
>Yes it does. Those who can think for themselves don't need to be guided by
others.

I would argue that those *most* at risk of mandating mindless standards are
those who are so enamored of their own opinions that they have no room for
others'.

In fact, I'd bet a lung that that most standards are created by those who
think They Know The Way and are now in a position to *force* others to stop
being so...

oh, what was the word?... "idiotic".