[Sigia-l] AIfIA Goals 2004 Survey Results

david_fiorito at vanguard.com david_fiorito at vanguard.com
Thu Dec 18 13:23:01 EST 2003

Standards become important when the company is larger and projects can
span years multiple IAs.  Standards allow your work to endure, to be
easily adapted, and to be easily translated.  I understand the impulse
towards the "art" and away from the "science".  I wanted to be an IA
artist, and it worked while I was in a small consultancy with small
project teams.  In the world of large corporations "art" can cause more
problems than it solves.  We have found that standards for design,
deliverables, process, and the like are critical to long-term success.

Standards will also help IAs when it comes time to shift employers or
contracts.  If all of the employers out there see that there are strong
standards and definitions around this thing called Information
Architecture then it will be easier to evaluate candidates and fill
positions.  I can't tell you the number of times I have seen a resume of
someone claiming the title of information architect yet none of there
skills or experience even comes close to the most lax definition of the
trade.

"Standards" does not equate to "rigidity".  The PMA (Project Management
Association) has strict standards.  Yet when they work on projects PMA
trained project managers use those standards like an artist in their
favorite medium.

We IAs are a lot that seems to always balk at being limited or put in a
box, but I think the only way we will ever be taken as seriously as others
in the professional ranks is to create standards and definitions for who
we are, what we do, and how we do it.

Cheers,

Dave

anne at mindstorm.com