[Sigia-l] IBM Reinvents E-mail

Phil Glatz phil at glatz.com
Wed Dec 10 14:03:57 EST 2003

At 01:16 PM 12/10/2003 -0500, Listera wrote:
>Quick, name three fundamental UI advances ever made by IBM. Having a hard
>time? :-)

Don't discount them too fast - they do a lot of basic research, which
always doesn't make it first into the mainstream.  I remember using their
usability guidelines 15 years ago, and exploring "TopView" in the early
1980s - it was an object-oriented framework for windowing, that came
between the Mac and the first version of Windows.

>Looks fascinating, misses the point entirely: if your mail
>threads are so convoluted that you need an elaborate visualization tool just
>to follow, there's something fundamentally wrong with the process to begin
>with.

It may never hit the streets in the form shown here, but is the way a lot
of users conceptualize mail.  As a developer, I suffer the sin of being too
familiar with the technical tools I use.  I run things like this past my
wife, who is a very tough sell on technology.  Some of the concepts here
are exactly the way she'd like to deal with email.

The problem left to be solved, is that users are forced to organize threads
the way the program wants them to, while ordinary users often have entirely
different concepts of organization.