We don't all agree about Visio WAS RE: [Sigia-l] Sitemapping and Macs

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Dec 8 17:52:51 EST 2003

"Johnson, Bryce" wrote:

> We feel that standardizing on tools is valuable to our organization.

Ouch, ouch!

I'm practically giddy with the degree of progress that's been made in this
forum since the first time I raised the issue of Visio about three years
ago. Then, the bureaucratic wing of the ancient regime here accused me of
incorrigible heresy. Just a few short years later, the proponents of Visio
are in a position of having to defend continued reliance of monoculture and
there are many and varied alternatives to lock-in. In my book, that's
progress.

Standardizing on *tools* is what gets you into the hellhole of monoculture
and lock-in. It's the wrong thing to do. Standardizing on *standards* is
what we all should strive at: maximum variety on tools, minimum tolerance
for lock-in.

----
Ziya

Design is how it works.