[Sigia-l] RE: We could just use whiteboards instead.

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Aug 27 03:31:44 EDT 2003

"Johndan Johnson-Eilola" wrote:

> What's the point of fetishizing digital, though?

Same as "fetishizing" analog.

> There are lots of things for which digital solutions make more sense, but
> sometimes its a matter of fitting a binary peg into an analog hole...

Depends on how you define that 'analog hole.' Often the hole is/can be
digital, you may not (want to) realize it.

> My office looks a lot like this, too.
>
> On one hand, maybe you'd consider this only a "private" work product,
> naked things I should never show anyone outside of my bedroom/office.

I really do. You really shouldn't take this to the boardroom at all, if you
want to work in the commercial world. Frankly, you wouldn't be taken
seriously. (Notice, I'm not saying there is nothing of value there, it's
just that you wouldn't pass the first test of perception of value.)

> Maybe the point is about screen real estate.

Again, keeping things digital gives you the opportunity to blow up stuff to
gigantic dimensions. I don't know why this points keeps coming up, but from
large-format printers to plotters you can output digital stuff to truly
immersive proportions, if that's what you want. Most ad agencies, for
example, have a large-format printer/plotter in-house just for client
presentations, storyboards, poster comps, etc. This is not an issue.

> Your last sentence suggests you're not looking at an either/or, which
> is good, but sometimes Etch-a-Sketch and Crayolas belong  in the
> boardroom,

As I said before, this is not about work product, workflow, pretty diagrams,
etc. It's about the final product that gets delivered to the end user. I
want to get there as efficiently as possible. Digital allows me to do that.

> at least if you want to challenge people in the boardroom. (Admittedly, not
> always a good idea, but certainly something we need to consider.)

Keep your eyes on the prize: the final product!

Ziya
Nullius in Verba