[Sigia-l] We could just use whiteboards instead.

Anne Miller amiller at humanfactors.edu.au
Mon Aug 25 17:36:47 EDT 2003

<WE don't develop the applications implementations - that's for those who
have the skills to do. We don't design technical systems, we design
information architectures and user experiences.>

I suggest that we dont even design information architectures - we represent
architectures that exist in the world. The architectures, (by which I mean
the pieces of information and their interrelationships), are designed and
continue to be redesigned in the context of use.

Which in my view is why the 100% digital prototyping argument is misguided.
When you involve users in the design process, you get a sense of the
variability in purposes and conceptualisations about how purposes can be
achieved. You need a means for extracting both purposes and conceptual
relationhsips. Users as a group generally cant sit in front of a digital
prototying tool - the keyboard operator takes over. Users can of course work
as a group with butchers paper, whiteboards and other lo-fi materials. When
group processes are managed and facilitated designers can get a sense of
variability in purposes and in conceptualisations.  Its here in my view that
the opportunities for innovation lie.

cheers

Anne Miller
Coordinator