[Sigia-l] We could just use whiteboards instead.

Listera listera at rcn.com
Sun Aug 17 19:20:47 EDT 2003

"Adrian Howard" wrote:

> How about:
> -    three people using it at once?

If all three people are *simultaneously* messing with post-its and chewing
gum, then there's more than mayhem going on in that room. :-)

To equivalent of creating a post-it and moving it about the screen in any
drawing app can be taught to anyone with 17 functioning brain cells in about
2.73 seconds, and that's pretty much all you can do with a post-it, so let's
not exaggerate.

But this is really not about the technicality of generating charts, maps,
etc. It's the approach to working...

> While digital models are great...

...and as I previously stated here, I don't spend much time with wireframes
and other pre-industrial age contraptions, mostly because the *ultimate*
goal here is not origami but a fully functional *digital* (synthetic)
product.

> These are often overlooked because of our industry's fetish with shiny
> technical toys :-)

To repeat, again, the objective here *is* to create a *digital* (shiny
technical) toy. We're not contemplating print, sculpture, cooking, etc.,
where the end product is analog/physical. A web app runs on computers 100%,
from server to client.

So it comes down to how you work. If I'm tasked with doing the IA/UI/etc, I
consider myself a funnel through which all related activity go through. I
engage everyone concerned often individually and, occasionally, in small
groups, but very rarely in large groups, collaboratively playing with
post-it and chewing gum in a room. To me, that almost sounds like abdication
of my duties/homework. I trust that I can anticipate the vast majority of
potential questions, approaches, problems, etc. When I feel uncertain then I
engage whoever has that domain knowledge. Usually, the number of people in a
room is inversely proportional to the efficiency with which they create
solutions. When I have more than few people in a room, the exchange is at a
highly abstracted level, far from the nitty gritty of post-it and chewing
gum, which would normally have been taken care of at an earlier stage. You
say collaboration, I say committee work :-) let's call the whole thing...

Ziya
Nullius in Verba