[Sigia-l] Tool standardization (was about visio or not to visio)

Andrew McNaughton andrew at scoop.co.nz
Wed Aug 13 01:56:32 EDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Listera wrote:

> I don't even know where to begin to plug the wholes in that argument, as
> there are a thousand gushing holes. But one should suffice: If that's the
> sole criterion, then why do we *not* have Linux or Unix variants that are
> 'free,' dominating the enterprise OS scene?
>
> The bad news for you is that if large orgs 'standardize' on those, you won't
> be able to enjoy your Visio. :-)

If large organisations stnadardised on Linux or Unix variants you'd see
tools equivalent to Visio being built for and ported to those operating
systems a lot quicker than is happening at present.

Apparently you can run at least some versions of Visio on linux using
WINE.  Haven't tried it myself.

Andrew

--

No added Sugar.  Not tested on animals.  May contain traces of Nuts.  If
irritation occurs, discontinue use.

Andrew McNaughton           In Sydney
                            Working on a Product Recommender System
andrew at scoop.co.nz