[Sigia-l] And then there's Inspiration

infoarchitect at ourbrisbane.com infoarchitect at ourbrisbane.com
Tue Aug 12 21:36:37 EDT 2003

Quoting David Heller <hippiefunk at hotmail.com>:
> Ya know, just b/c you say it is a poor UE doesn't mean it is.
> I like it much better than Illustrator and Photoshop or similar. And it is
> much more powerful than PowerPoint.

...and the opinions DO fly, don't they?

This all gets back to the backgrounds of people in this industry (raise your hand if you
called yourself a graphic designer, librarian, project manager, or programmer a few years
ago).  I'm comfortable with most tools mentioned, but have preferences just like the rest of
you.  Of course, being a contractor I am constrained by what is available on-site most of the
time, and so I adapt.

I used to laugh at the Freehand/Illustrator (and Quark/Pagemaker or CorelDraw/Photoshop (I
still have version 1 for the Mac somewhwere!)) rivalry that started in the early days of
desktop publishing - it's the same as Mac/PC - and the same as this newer Visio/Every-other-
application-that-can-draw-a-line...  People will use the tools that they are comfortable with -
 those that they know.  It doesn't matter which 'is better', or has more features - humans are
adaptable and we accommodate the shortcomings of applications.

So, for those of you who wish to continue the North v South turf wars - go right ahead.  Just
be aware, however, that the arguments are emotionally based, and no matter 'how right' you
think you are - the person at the other end will never agree.

Best regards,

Ash Donaldson
User Experience Designer

----- End forwarded message -----