[Sigia-l] ballot usability redux

Jared M. Spool jspool at uie.com
Mon Aug 11 00:04:18 EDT 2003

At 11:13 PM 8/10/2003 -0400, James Spahr wrote:
>I just could not believe that random order would be the preferred method
>of ordering names. I'd really love to see the history of that spectacular
>decision, and the arguments against alphabetical listings -- I can see why
>some people might think alphabetical listings would put some canidates at
>a disadvantage -- but that really would be assuming your users are morons ...
>
>I wonder if any studies were done.

Actually, there have been. alphabetical listings and random order perform
almost identically in most cases. David Fay and co. at Verizon Research
have done a tremendous amount of work in Yellow Pages, finding that names
listed at the top of the list have a significantly greater chance of being
chosen than names at the bottom.

If the great state of California were really interested in making the list
perform without any order bias, they'd make each ballot have it's own
randomly unique order. (The beauty of 193 factorial is that it's a *really
large number*.)

Maybe there should be a box on the ballot that says "I don't care. Just
pick for me".

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
http://www.uie.com    jspool at uie.com

Don't miss User Interface 8, October 13-16, Cambridge, MA.
http://www.uiconf.com