[Sigia-l] Re: Isometric vs. Flat Sitemaps

joe joe at sokohl.com
Thu Aug 7 13:12:31 EDT 2003

On a project for an Austrian non-profit org, I had delivered a multipage Visio sitemap as well as a multipage Microsoft Word outline (using numbered paragraphs to indicate level). However, the client's team members had a hard time conceptualizing the areas and the levels of hierarchy.
I then created a one-page isometric version in Canvas (Windows/Mac). Color-coding different major groups, then showing the sub-areas isometrically, all helped illustrate the scale of the site to the customers.
In my experience on this project, the isometric site map helped immensely. Too, in Canvas, with its automatic lines, making this map was no less onerous than using Visio...and actually less onerous for me.

Well, anyway, that experience colors my opinion.

Re: tools: I second & third Ziya's praise of OmniGraffle. An indispensible IA tool!

joe