[Sigia-l] Re: Large Orgs

David_Fiorito at vanguard.com David_Fiorito at vanguard.com
Thu Aug 7 12:36:41 EDT 2003

Is it that they inhibit flexibility, communication, individual innovation,
and insight - or is it that larger organizations and larger teams simply
require a greater level of compromise between team members and between
employees and management?

In addition - isn't it also about patience?  If a person is unwilling to
compromise and balks at the notion of having to work patiently within a
system then are they really cut out to work in large organizations?

I think back to Stewart Brand's keynote at the IA Summit and his notion of
pace layering.  The change over in employees is more rapid than the change
in corporate policy and culture.  It takes someone with the ability to see
the long view to be able to effect change in that kind of environment.

In small companies the amount of effort needed to make change is smaller
and the pace is quicker.  When a person moves from a small organization to
a large on the instinct is to carry over the behaviors that worked in the
small company.  This does not work, nor should it work.  Large
corporations are by definition different.

Large corporation function best when they can have a much more predictable
(read dependable) course of business.  Their mass gives them power.  Their
power comes from constancy.  A wave rider or jet ski can turn on a dime
but it can't haul millions of gallons of crude like a supertanker can. The
kind of flexibility of operation that the rider on a jet ski enjoys will
not work to pilot the supertanker.

I yearn for the days I worked in a small shop where we could change the
way we worked in a single meeting and each employee did whatever their
skills allowed but if that culture were transferred to my current employer
the ensuing chaos would cause the entire enterprise to grind to a halt.

The rider of a jet ski can navigate by sight and can go where ever he
wants on a whim but to get the crude to port the pilot of the supertanker
must work with rigid guidelines, consult established procedures and
standards, and chart every turn of his course.

Cheers,

Dave

"Sean Lawrence" <slawrence at lucidvagary.com>
Sent by: sigia-l-admin at asis.org