Large Orgs: WAS: Re: [Sigia-l] Are you ready for it?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Aug 6 17:39:14 EDT 2003

"Richard_Dalton at vanguard.com" wrote:

> Not all of us who work for large organizations are that closed minded and
> neither are the orgs we work for - lets not tar us all with the same
> brush.

As I explained before, this is not (necessarily) about the people, it's
about the culture, system, structure, the nature of the beast. For example,
I knew that at least two of the people in that boardroom did have
reservations about the COM approach, specifically about scaling. They were,
however, intimidated by what surrounded them, the "inevitability" of it all:
"This is how we do it, this is how everybody else is doing it."

We are, obviously, making generalizations here. But it's not a conflict of
innies/outies as people, it's an issue of flexibility, speed, efficiency,
etc., of the organization, structurally.

For example, I'm sure every consulting IA has had this experience. You ask
management at a large corporation to sketch out the basic ingredients of a
site. A frightening percentage of them will throw back their org chart or
existing product lines, as the basis of organization and presentation. They
think this is natural and expected. They are not idiots, but the culture and
inertia of the large org has thoroughly seeped into their psyche.

In that sense, Jeff's equivocation is quite telling: he's asking if smaller
outfits have broader choices. Even if he doesn't know, I think, he
intuitively suspects that they likely do. And he's right.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba