[Sigia-l] Are you ready for it?

Richard_Dalton at vanguard.com Richard_Dalton at vanguard.com
Tue Aug 5 09:01:20 EDT 2003

Ziya (and others) wrote:
>>> Job titles are not about your *current* job (you already have it),
they are
>>> about your *next* job. Or put differently, if you didn't have to get a
'next'
>>> job, there wouldn't be any need for job titles.
>>>
>> This is true but people get to rely on their title.
>
> ...to get their next job. It's a subtle but very telling distinction.
Job
> title is an investment into the future. It's a foretelling of future
> expectations and ambitions.
>
>> People proclaim their job title with pride, indifference or trepidation
but no
>> matter which way you look at it once you have said who you are people
judge
>> you on that and the lid is on the box.
>
> ...and that judgment process is problematic to the extent that it may
reduce
> your ambitions/flexibility in regards to your *next* job.
>
>> If only [larger] companies could find a better way to cope with the
concept
>> of skillsets defining roles rather than job titles as part of the
>> organisational management.
>
> Of course, it'd be much better if [larger] companies weren't the
inflexible
> carcasses they are but simply outsourced the work to smaller, nimbler,
more
> intelligent and infinitely more efficient outfits, where org charts and
> titles play much less of a role. :-)

Wow ... so much negativity towards large organizations and their needs.
(side question - do/have any of you worked for large organizations?). As
someone who does work in a large organization where teamwork is very
important I can confidently say that there is a purpose for the evil "Job
Title" that has been missed - it can be an effective way of identifying
roles and responsibilities within a team.

You don't say "the guy who calls the numbers and throws the ball" in
football do you?

 - Richard