[Sigia-l] content architects

Richard Law rlaw at cisco.com
Mon Aug 4 17:55:34 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I think Chris has hit the nail on the head with his descriptions below for
various roles and titles. By the way, we have had many internal discussions
about our own titles and roles (e.g., Are we Information Architects and
Interaction Designers?). I think we're more interaction designers than pure
information architects on my project, but Cisco has been using the term IA
since I joined the team so we're still IAs. In some ways, I often think
we're experience designers, but that's a whole separate conversation. ;.)

Currently, we have a content architect (CA) on our team. I can't remember if
the IAs started calling her this or someone else on our team first called
her a CA. I do know that our CA is a writer and editor, who helps us define
the writing style(s) for several content types on our site. She also builds
content maps so IAs and business stakeholders can see what InfoTypes are
mapped to specific Concepts and Info Objects (individual instances of
content). She is also works with the MetaData system in various ways, for
example, normalizing Content InfoTypes, adjusting relationships between
InfoObjects and concepts, etc.

Here's a good overview of some of the info I mentioned above:
<http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/building_a_metadatabased_website.php

We're in the process of forming a team of internal CAs on my project. This
group will oversee the writing guidelines and advise employees who
author/publish content onto the Web site about the content guidelines. The
group of CAs will most likely be a group of writers and IAs.

Thanks for all the interesting feedback about the role of content architect.
You've provided some really helpful responses. As I expected, it seems like
the CA role really varies from company to company and is often covered by
either an IA or writer/editor.

Richard