[Sigia-l] Facets, Flash, and Fun

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Apr 22 17:39:22 EDT 2003

"Christopher Fahey [askrom]" wrote:

> No DHTML is simple. Like I said, IMHO, I estimate that safe,
> *cross-browser compatible* Javscript/DHTML/CSS would cost 2-3 times as
> much (in person-hours) as it took to build this Flash version. Plus,
> this Flash version is probably a much faster download (the data and SWF
> are 130k total) than the gigantic pile of plaintext HTML that would be
> in an HTML page download.

This is a lot of exaggeration. In this example, if you eliminate the
gratuitous drag&drop, you can do the whole thing in HTML+iframes, just as
fast as Flash, if not faster.

Have a left column of camera pix (if you really want to show the cameras
before selection). Three pop-up menus of camera names at the top. Three
iframes below them. Select a random camera in any one of the three columns,
the contents of the iframe below it is refreshed from a remote server pretty
much instantly, as it's all text. No page refreshes, no fancy DHTML. Minimal
if any browser incompatibility issues. No learning curve. No plug-ins to
worry about.

Now, I'm a Flash MX advocate, but this is a poor example to be talking up
the Flash superiority.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba