[Sigia-l] Facets, Flash, and Fun

Christopher Fahey [askrom] askROM at graphpaper.com
Tue Apr 22 16:12:23 EDT 2003

Listera wrote:
> These are valid objections, but eminently and easily
> solvable. Slider, as an abstraction, is just another
> way of sending a query to a  database ... The
> crucial problem with such real-time sliders (apart
> from UI implementation issues like the one you
> spotted) is that they overtax the network and
> the DB when the user keeps sliding with abandon,
> sending a query to the DB with every move of
> the mouse.

Whoa, wait a minute! I am 100% sure that all of the data necessary for
this interactive chart is contained within the Flash movie itself, and
what you call "queries" are simply done right in the ActionScript (using
array objects or something). There are no database queries at all.

You can download the SWF locally and use it to test it out.
http://www.iokio.com/demos/camerafinder/camerafinder.swf

I really had to jump up to correct this. To understand the possibilities
of rich Flash interfaces, you have to discard some preconceptions of how
HTML web interfaces must work (query/response/repeat).

-Cf

[christopher eli fahey]
art: http://www.graphpaper.com
sci: http://www.askrom.com