[Sigia-l] Intranet as desktop?

Hilary Marsh hilary at contentcompany.biz
Wed Apr 16 10:09:35 EDT 2003

For the intranet project I recently completed, employees did have to
go through the intranet to get to their email/calendar application
(iNotes). They were used to this, though, because before this first
Web-based intranet they had used an integrated system that combined
email, calendar, business reports, phone book and a content
repository. The old system was ugly, limited and rigidly
hierarchical, but it certainly did a lot!

IMO, an intranet can serve as an employee's desktop IF it is a single
sign-on portal to everything they need.

The values to the company of having all this information integrated include:

*it's impossible for an employee to miss a crucial piece of news
* the company can build in features that lead to knowledge management
by being able to see and track all the documents an employee is
involved with.

My 2 cents.

--Hilary

--